Saturday, April 19, 2008


Dear Everybody,
Today, the 17th April, marks the completion of 4th year of the Mahamantra Divas, the day when Bhagavan had received this HARE KRISHNA Mahamantra from the Infinite. I was writing a letter to one of my friends and these relevant facts came out. Hope it will help you all.

Dear .....
Thanks for writing to me. I am very sorry that I couldn't reply you on time. In future I will be careful enough to answer you as soon as possible.
Let me come to the point :
1) What does a Mantra actually mean?
Its a word or a few words or a sentence describing the glory of the Lord which are often used by aspirants to concentrate on a single subject. For example - starting from Om to Hare Krishna mahamantra are all Mantras used to gather concentration of mind.
2) Why is Mantra used ?
Spiritual world starts from our mind. The body, senses and the external world are considered as outer world. Mind is the gateway of our inner world. If we see very closely, mind is a cluster of thoughts. Many thoughts grouped together seen in a body is known as a mind. The mind is distributed among all the subjects of the world and thats the reason why it cannot experience the Knowledge which is the substratum. Its the source of spontaneous peace and bliss. Because its one, its free and infinite. To bring the mind into one particular point is the objective of Mantra chanting.
3) As the mind continuously chants any Mantra, the distracted mind concentrates into one point, the Mantra. When we keep on chanting, the chanting automatically stops which means our mind has upgraded its potency and can meditate on the consciousness which always flows within each thoughts.
4) With the meditation, the mind can comprehend the presence of inner self and thus thrive to know it in the clearest and closest way. This tendency of mind is known as the desire to get enlightened. The desire of enlightenment makes our mind completely transform into one thought, the desire to know the self. When this thought reaches its climax, the subject of the thought, that is the desire washes out leaving the consciousness alone. This state of complete existence of consciousness or knowledge is called Samadhi or oneness with the Self. After this state is achieved, one knows totally His identity as a soul, not a body or mind or ego. This knowledge which ever remains confirmed and clear within him is called realization. This is the ultimate goal of Humanity, to know Himself, His real Self.
5) If you have to reach the ultimate state, you have to start with a Mantra. But the Mantra should be given to you by a spiritual Master. Spiritual Master is a man who not only knows the knowledge of the Self but knows the way how to reach it and lead a man to that point of supreme realization. Spiritual world doesn't start without a Master, because the one to be known is beyond any comprehension of either body or mind or intellect or the ego.
*** You can start your spiritual journey on your own by selecting any Mantra, as I could see you have already done, but your actual journey will commence only when you come in contact with a Master. For any spiritual enhancement, I will suggest you the Mahamantra which I think I had sent you through the facebook. I repeat it once again,
" HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE
HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE."
I had a very intense spiritual experience from the day I had started chanting this Mantra. I am sure this will help you in your advancement also if in anycase you choose to chant this Mantra.
Ironically, today, the 17th of april, is the day when my Master had received this Mantra from the Infinite for the whole world. He was an Advaita Vedantin who discussed Advaita Vedanta all through His life. Oneday, this day, 17th April, 2004, He received the message from the infinite thus, " Get madden and madden the whole world. Chant HARE KRISHNA." From that day, He introduced this Mahamantra within Himself and us though it was long before given by Chaitannya Mahaprabhu. With the chanting of this Mantra, I have seen many spiritual heights achieved which appeared to be quite impossible before. It has changed my life. I don't chant, I churn. It has a great power within it. Bhagavan, my Master said once, I had given the supreme form of vedanta, the doctrine of Birthlessness in this Mahamantra. As I chant all through my days, I see each and every word of my Master is true. I find it much more. Its my life and my Salvation.
Hope you like my letter. I wish all success in your spiritual journey. May God guide you to the final Glory. HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA......
love, Swamiji

Swami Probuddhananda
General - Secretary
International Vedanta Society.

No comments: